Around & About
As the historic home of horseracing, Newmarket has a rich and colourful story to tell. It’s a fascinating place to spend a few days discovering something about the characters and horses associated with this great British sport - from Charles II to Frankie Dettori and from Eclipse to Frankel.
Yet Newmarket is also a great base from which to explore Cambridge, Bury St Edmunds and the cathedral town of Ely, which are all within a 30 minute drive. To find out more about what Suffolk has to offer you can look on the Visit Suffolk website.
Here are a few highlights of things to do and see:
- Visit St Edmundsbury Cathedral – Suffolk’s only cathedral.
- Enjoy the Abbey Gardens, which house the ruins of the 11th century Benedictine Abbey.
- When all ‘historied’ out – sample the famous local ale in the Greene King Brewery Museum.
- Visit King’s College Chapel and other famous colleges.
- Visit the city’s many museums and galleries.
- Go on a shopping spree – the city has numerous independent shops and boutiques, some excellent markets and two brand new shopping centres.
- Explore Cambridge on foot with a fascinating organised walking tour.
- … and not to be missed – enjoy a punt along the College ‘backs’. Visit Scudamore’s website or call them on 01223 359750.
- Visit the magnificent cathedral - one of the largest and most beautiful in the country.
- Experience the vast Fenland landscape at the Welney Wetland Centre.
- Visit Oliver Cromwell’s house.